- Installation of European Rapid Train Management System signalling for the entire Sydney Trains Network to allow for more rapid and more frequent services (minimum of 20 percent additional services e.g. at least 24 trains per hour).
- Cease T3 Sydenham to Bankstown Metro conversion (terminating Metro at Sydenham while consideration be given to options including redirecting Metro to Miranda via Brighton/Sans Souci/Sutherland Hospital).
- Provision of direct services to City Circle (via Sydenham and Lidcombe) for existing all T3 Bankstown Line stations.
- New Y-Junction at Glenfield Junction for Liverpool/Casula commuters to access the T8 Airport/South Line (East Hills) and new Y- Junction at Lidcombe Junction for T3 Bankstown Line commuters to access Parramatta without interchange at Lidcombe.
- New stations on existing lines (e.g. Doody Street on the T8 Airport/South Line; Art Gallery of NSW and Woollahra on the T4 Eastern Suburbs Line).
- Extensions of the T4 Eastern Suburbs Line from Bondi Junction to Bondi Beach.
- The quadruplication of T8 Airport/South Line from Revesby to Glenfield and the restoration of the T5 Cumberland Line to Macarthur.
- Create a spur line for the Inner West Light Rail from Rozelle Bay to the Bays Precinct (and onto the White Bay Cruise Ship terminal).
- Extend the Parramatta Light Rail Stage 1 from Carlingford to Epping Station.
- Convert the Parramatta to Liverpool T-Way (bus way) to Light Rail.
- Extend Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 from Carter Street to Lidcombe and Strathfield.
- Stronger support for active transport modes including walking and cycling in all transit proposals, including support for the Better Streets Coalition.
- Construction of an all-weather walkway (similar to the Wynyard Walk) between the existing Inner West Light Rail Fish Markets stop (renamed ‘Blackwattle Bay’) and the Pyrmont Bridge via Pyrmont Metro West Station.
- Reopen the Glebe Island Bridge for active transport.
- New stations on Metro West (e.g. Camellia/Rosehill and Lilyfield) and abandonment of rigid adherence to a ‘20 minute Parramatta to Sydney CBD’ journey time.
- All rail connections to Western Sydney Airport to be heavy rail double deckers (including freight), the highest priority being extension of T2 Leppington Line instead of conversion of the South West Rail Link (Glenfield to Leppington) into Metro.
Regional Rail & Other Matters (for Ecotransit’s full Regional Rail strategy click here.)
- Preservation of existing rail lines as opposed to conversion to rail trails.
- Regional enhancements including track straightening between Sydney and Canberra, and improvements to Wollongong/Newcastle/Bathurst services.
- Restoration of a Canberra to Cooma rail service (as a single track electrified train).
- A review of Transport Administration Act 1988 (Section 99A) regarding the closure and disposal of railway lines, in lieu of removing the Minister’s power to close a line (for “State Significant” projects) without an Act of Parliament.